BREAKING: Preston Davey’s case is raising heartbreaking questions across Britain. 💔

The Preston Davey Case: New Forensic Evidence Reshaped the Story — and Now a Wider Inquiry Is Taking Shape
BREAKING UPDATE: The Preston Davey case is drawing renewed attention in the UK after forensic evidence overturned the original account of what happened to the 13-month-old boy, while a safeguarding review and a possible future inquest are now examining whether public agencies missed opportunities to protect him.
The case of Preston Elijah Davey has returned to the spotlight in 2026 following the conviction and sentencing of the two men responsible for his care. What began in July 2023 as an unexplained medical emergency rapidly became a major criminal investigation after forensic examination contradicted the explanation initially given to doctors and police.
The latest developments are no longer focused only on the criminal responsibility of Preston’s adoptive father. They are increasingly centered on a much wider question: could earlier intervention by professionals have prevented what happened to Preston?
From a tragic emergency to a criminal investigation
Preston Davey was born on June 16, 2022. Shortly after birth, he was placed into emergency foster care. According to Lancashire Police, health professionals described him as healthy and happy during the first nine months of his life.
In March 2023, an adoption panel approved Jamie Varley and John McGowan-Fazakerley as prospective adopters. Preston began living with them in April 2023.
Within only a few months, however, serious concerns emerged.
Court evidence showed that Preston was taken to hospital several times before his final admission. Police and medical professionals also encountered him during this period. The significance of those encounters became much clearer during the 2026 trial.
On July 27, 2023, Preston was brought to Blackpool Victoria Hospital in a critical condition. Varley initially claimed that the child had accidentally become submerged in a bath.
That explanation did not survive forensic scrutiny.
Forensic science changed the direction of the case
The most important turning point came from the Home Office post-mortem examination.
Lancashire Police said the examination identified around 40 traumatic injuries suffered during the months Preston was in the care of Varley and McGowan-Fazakerley. These included numerous external bruises, internal injuries and a healing fracture to his upper arm that was assessed as non-accidental.
Most significantly, the examination established that Preston died from acute upper-airway obstruction, rather than drowning.
The finding fundamentally challenged Varley’s account of a bath accident.
The Crown Prosecution Service later explained that medical evidence was central to proving the prosecution case. Experts concluded that the injuries and cause of death were inconsistent with an accidental drowning scenario. (Crown Prosecution Service)
The forensic findings therefore did more than establish a cause of death. They helped investigators reconstruct what had happened during the final period of Preston’s life and provided evidence that contradicted the explanation initially presented to authorities.
This is why the case has been described as one in which forensic science reshaped the story.
A pattern emerged from the medical evidence
The post-mortem findings became even more significant when considered alongside evidence presented during the eight-week trial.
Prosecutors showed that Preston had suffered repeated harm rather than a single isolated incident. Lancashire Police said photographs, videos, medical records and other evidence demonstrated a pattern of mistreatment during the approximately four months he lived with the couple. (Lancashire Police News)
One particularly important development was the evidence concerning Preston’s earlier hospital visits.
ITV News reported that Preston had been taken to hospital three times in the weeks before his death and had been seen by numerous professionals, including medical staff and social workers. (ITVX)
On July 6, 2023, for example, Preston was taken to hospital with an injury to his left arm. An X-ray confirmed a fracture around the elbow and a cast was applied.
The significance of that injury became much greater after the post-mortem findings and trial evidence were considered together.
The question now being examined is not simply whether individual professionals made decisions that appeared reasonable at the time. Investigators and safeguarding authorities must consider whether the overall pattern should have triggered a stronger response.
The 2026 trial brought the evidence together
The criminal trial began at Preston Crown Court in April 2026.
Jamie Varley denied murdering Preston and denied abusing him. John McGowan-Fazakerley also denied the allegations against him.
After weeks of evidence, the jury reached its verdicts on June 15, 2026.
Varley was found guilty of murdering Preston and of multiple offences relating to child cruelty, sexual abuse and other serious criminal conduct.
McGowan-Fazakerley was convicted of causing or allowing the death of a child, child cruelty and a sexual offence.
The convictions marked a major legal conclusion to the criminal case.
Three days later, on June 18, Varley received a whole-life order, meaning he will remain in prison for the rest of his life. McGowan-Fazakerley was sentenced to 25 years in prison. (Lancashire Police News)
But the verdict did not end the wider questions surrounding Preston’s case.
Why the case is now moving beyond the courtroom
Following the convictions, attention shifted toward the agencies that had interacted with Preston before his death.
Oldham Council had responsibility for his care and adoption arrangements, while other organisations were involved in his health, safeguarding and welfare.
An independent Child Safeguarding Practice Review has resumed following the conclusion of the criminal proceedings. The purpose is not to retry the murder case, but to examine whether agencies missed opportunities to identify escalating risks and whether lessons can be learned for the protection of other vulnerable children. (Oldham Chronicle)
The UK Government has also explicitly referenced Preston’s case in its July 15, 2026 response to a national review concerning vulnerable babies.
The government said Preston’s case was a further reminder that authorities cannot become complacent when protecting babies. It emphasized earlier identification of risk, better information sharing, professional curiosity and stronger cooperation between agencies. (Nghị viện Vương quốc Anh)
That development is significant because it places the Preston Davey case within a much broader national conversation about child safeguarding.
A possible inquest could bring another layer of scrutiny
There is also a new development concerning the coroner’s investigation.
At a July 20 hearing, Senior Coroner Alan Wilson said it was “highly likely” that an inquest into Preston’s death would eventually take place.
The coroner indicated that there were sufficient reasons to resume the investigation because the actions and omissions of public authorities needed to be examined in a public hearing in which Preston’s family could participate. (ITVX)
The timetable is still some way away.
The safeguarding review is expected to continue into early 2027, and the coroner indicated that an inquest could potentially take place in autumn 2027. A further hearing is expected in October 2026.
Importantly, this means that the legal story surrounding Preston Davey is not completely finished.
The criminal courts have determined responsibility for the offences. The safeguarding review and potential inquest are concerned with a different question: what happened within the wider system, and what could have been done differently?
Why forensic evidence remains central
The Preston Davey case demonstrates the crucial role forensic medicine can play when an initial explanation does not match the physical evidence.
At first, authorities were presented with an account involving an apparent bath accident. The post-mortem examination produced a substantially different picture.
The discovery of approximately 40 traumatic injuries, together with the medical conclusion that Preston died from acute upper-airway obstruction, provided investigators with evidence that could be compared against the original explanation.
That evidence helped prosecutors build a case around a pattern of harm rather than treating Preston’s death as an isolated accident. (Crown Prosecution Service)
Forensic science did not act alone. Investigators also relied on medical records, photographs, videos, messages, witness testimony and evidence from professionals who had interacted with Preston.
Together, those pieces allowed the jury to see a much broader picture of the final months of his life.
What happens next?
As of August 2026, the most important unresolved issue is the safeguarding review.
Its findings could examine the sequence of professional contacts, hospital attendances, social-care decisions and adoption arrangements surrounding Preston.
The review is expected to consider whether warning signs were properly shared and understood, whether cumulative risks were recognized and whether agencies responded effectively when concerns emerged.
The Government has already indicated that lessons from the Preston case and other safeguarding reviews will be considered as part of wider reforms designed to improve protection for vulnerable babies. (Nghị viện Vương quốc Anh)
The potential inquest could then provide another opportunity for those issues to be examined publicly.
For Preston’s family, however, the story is not simply about procedures, policies or forensic evidence.
It is about a little boy who was described as happy and healthy while living with his foster carers, before his circumstances changed dramatically.
The renewed attention surrounding Preston Davey is therefore about more than revisiting a shocking criminal case. It is about understanding how forensic evidence exposed the truth, how multiple pieces of information eventually came together, and whether the systems designed to protect a vulnerable child could have acted sooner.
The convictions have answered the question of criminal responsibility. The safeguarding review and possible inquest now face the next question: what can be learned from Preston’s story so that other children do not fall through the cracks?
Sources
- Lancashire Police — official case and sentencing update
- Crown Prosecution Service — prosecution evidence and convictions
- UK Parliament — Government response on vulnerable babies and safeguarding
- ITV News Granada — hospital visits and safeguarding concerns
- ITV News Granada — July 2026 coroner and inquest update
- The Guardian — trial and conviction reporting
Note: The latest verified development I found is the July 20, 2026 coroner hearing: an inquest is considered highly likely, potentially in autumn 2027, while the independent safeguarding review is expected to continue until around January 2027. (ITVX)