Karmelo Anthony’s Fight for a New Trial Takes a Dramatic Turn as New Judge Reviews Conviction

McKINNEY, Texas — August 21, 2026 — Karmelo Anthony’s effort to overturn his murder conviction has entered a critical new phase after the judge who presided over his original trial was removed from the case and a new judge began reviewing his request for a new trial.

Anthony, now 19, was convicted in June of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a confrontation at a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas. He was sentenced to 35 years in prison after jurors rejected his claim that he acted in self-defense.

The legal battle took a major turn Wednesday when Judge John Roach was recused from further proceedings. A visiting judge, Sid Harle, ruled that Roach should no longer oversee the case after Anthony’s new defense team argued that his courtroom decisions and later public comments created questions about his impartiality.

The defense specifically pointed to an interview in which Roach said the jury had “got it right,” arguing that the comment could undermine confidence in the judge’s ability to fairly consider Anthony’s request for a new trial.

Retired District Judge Michael Chitty has now taken over the post-trial proceedings and is considering whether Anthony should receive another trial.

New Evidence Emerges During the Hearing
The new-trial hearing has also revealed information that was never presented to the original jury.

Prosecutors told the court that both sides had reached an informal agreement during the original proceedings to keep certain character evidence involving Anthony and Metcalf out of the trial. Prosecutor Bill Wirskye said the arrangement was intended to keep the highly charged case from becoming even more inflammatory, particularly after threats and intense racial debate surrounding the case.

Anthony’s new attorneys, however, argue that the circumstances surrounding that agreement contributed to Anthony’s decision not to testify and prevented him from presenting what they consider a complete defense.

The defense has also challenged courtroom restrictions imposed during the original trial, including limitations on public access. They contend those procedures contributed to an unfair trial.

Prosecutors strongly dispute those allegations, saying the original defense team agreed to the arrangement and that the trial was conducted properly.

Disturbing Allegations Discussed in Court
During the current hearing, prosecutors have also discussed previously excluded evidence concerning Anthony’s behavior before the fatal confrontation.

According to testimony reported during the hearing, Anthony’s former girlfriend had expressed concerns about his behavior and allegedly told a school official that she was afraid of him and that he would not accept the end of their relationship.

Prosecutors also presented information about messages and other evidence that they say was not shown to the original jury. The defense maintains that the issue is whether Anthony received a fair trial, not whether every piece of his past should have been presented to jurors.

Evidence concerning Metcalf’s past behavior was also kept out of the original trial under the agreement between the two sides. The newly revealed information has added another layer of controversy to an already closely watched case.

What Happened at the Track Meet?
The fatal confrontation occurred on April 2, 2025, at Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco during a high school track meet.

According to testimony and reporting on the case, Anthony was sitting beneath a Memorial High School team tent during bad weather when he was confronted and asked to leave. An argument followed, and Metcalf physically confronted Anthony.

Anthony stabbed Metcalf in the chest with a knife. Metcalf later died from his injuries.

Anthony acknowledged stabbing Metcalf but maintained that he acted in self-defense. Prosecutors argued that the evidence showed an unjustified killing rather than an act of self-protection.

After a four-day trial, the jury deliberated for several hours before finding Anthony guilty of murder on June 9, 2026. The same jury subsequently sentenced him to 35 years in prison.

The Decision Could Come Soon
The current hearing is taking place under a tight legal timetable.

Judge Michael Chitty began hearing Anthony’s motion for a new trial Thursday, and testimony continued Friday, August 21. The court is examining whether alleged procedural problems, restrictions during the original proceedings and disputes surrounding excluded evidence justify granting Anthony another trial.

Importantly, Anthony has not been granted a new trial at this point. His conviction and 35-year sentence remain in effect while the judge considers the defense motion.

The case has attracted national attention because of the circumstances surrounding the killing, the competing self-defense claims and the intense racial debate that developed online and around the courthouse.

For now, the central question before Judge Chitty is whether the original proceedings were fair enough for Anthony’s murder conviction to stand — or whether the case should return to trial.

Latest Status — August 21, 2026
Karmelo Anthony: Convicted of murder and serving a 35-year sentence.
Original Judge John Roach: Removed/recused from the post-trial proceedings.
Judge now reviewing the case: Retired Judge Michael Chitty.
Current issue: Anthony’s motion for a new trial.
Hearing status: Proceedings continued Friday, August 21.
New trial granted? No — not at this time.
Next major development: A ruling on Anthony’s request for a new trial.

Main Sources:  Los Angeles Times — original report