HUMAN REMAINS FOUND NEAR TUCSON — BUT POLICE REVEAL A STUNNING TWIST IN THE NANCY GUTHRIE CASE

Seven months after Nancy Guthrie vanished from her Tucson-area home, investigators are once again facing a disturbing discovery. Human remains were recently reported in a desert area approximately 15 miles from Guthrie’s residence, immediately raising questions about whether the long-running mystery had finally taken a dramatic turn.

But authorities have now issued a crucial clarification: there is currently no indication that the remains are connected to Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance.

The discovery came as the investigation into the 84-year-old mother of Today show co-host Savannah Guthrie continues without an arrest or confirmed location for Nancy. According to the Pima County Sheriff’s Department, search-and-rescue deputies responded to a report of human remains in the area of West Ajo Way and South La Cholla Boulevard in southern Tucson.

For a case that has generated months of searches, tips and false leads, the discovery immediately attracted attention. Yet investigators have emphasized that the remains appear to have been present for an extended period, making an immediate connection to Nancy unsupported by the available evidence.

Nancy Guthrie disappeared after she was last seen at her home on January 31. By the following day, family members realized something was seriously wrong. Important personal belongings were reportedly left behind, and investigators found blood near the front entrance that was later confirmed to belong to Nancy.

Authorities have maintained that the evidence points toward an abduction rather than a voluntary disappearance. Surveillance footage also became an important component of the investigation after federal authorities released images showing a masked individual near Guthrie’s home around the time she vanished.

Despite extensive searches, however, investigators have not publicly identified a suspect responsible for her disappearance.

The latest remains discovery therefore represents an unsettling moment rather than a breakthrough.

It is also important to distinguish this discovery from another dramatic incident earlier in the investigation. In May, a volunteer searching a desert wash near Tucson discovered human bones. Experts later determined that those remains were hundreds of years old and were not connected to Nancy Guthrie. Reports estimated that the remains could date back roughly 750 to 1,000 years.

The newest discovery is separate.

While authorities have not publicly linked it to Guthrie, the timing is certain to intensify public interest. Nancy’s case has already produced numerous tips and alleged ransom communications, some of which turned out to be false.

In July, the FBI clarified that it had received several ransom-related communications. Some were determined to be illegitimate extortion attempts, while other demands were still being evaluated. Importantly, the FBI said it continued to investigate Nancy’s disappearance as a kidnapping-for-ransom case.

One man, California resident Derrick Callella, pleaded guilty after sending a fake ransom message connected to the case. Authorities said his messages were unrelated to the original ransom demand received by a Tucson television station.

Meanwhile, investigators continue to examine physical evidence, surveillance footage and information coming from the public.

The case has also recently faced criticism from inside the Pima County Sheriff’s Department. Sergeant Aaron Cross, president of the Pima County Deputies Organization, has publicly questioned the department’s handling of the investigation, alleging that inexperienced investigators were assigned to a highly complex case and that problems occurred with communication and crime-scene management. Those claims represent Cross’s criticism and have not been established as official findings of an independent investigation.

Sheriff Chris Nanos, meanwhile, has said investigators believe progress is being made and have continued to review evidence and tips.

For Nancy Guthrie’s family, however, the central question remains painfully unanswered:

Where is Nancy?

The latest discovery has not solved that mystery. Authorities have not announced that Nancy has been found, and there has been no public confirmation that she is dead.

The investigation remains active.

And once again, a discovery that initially appeared capable of changing everything has instead left investigators—and Nancy’s family—with the same devastating question they have faced for more than six months.